Monday, January 15, 2007

My First Baby


September 3, 1992-January 15, 2007

I remember the first time I saw you: soaking wet, water everywhere, stumpy little nose and ratty tail, fresh from a bath in the laundry room sink.

I remember the last time I saw you: resting on your bed in the vet's office as you fell asleep for the very last time.

No one could ever have asked for a better or more loyal friend. When the human babies arrived, you gracefully ceded your role as center of the household, and put up with toddler tail-pulling antics with great dignity and good humor. I will miss you. I hope you are running full speed along a river bed, diving into the cold water to find your favorite ball, having a roll on your back in the dirt, without any pain from arthritis hurting you any more.

No comments: