Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name

OK, I think I've sorted out a color scheme for now...at least until I until I convince dh the techie to take a crack at finding me something more aesthetically pleasing. I also need to dump pictures of my FOs off the camera and post them on here tomorrow.

I am actually taking a knitting break tonight, after feverishly working to finish a birthday gift late last night. It was a simple ski headband, with a cute flower embellishment. Unfortunately, the pattern writer decided to make the flower *in crochet.* ::cringes in horror:: Now I used to do a little crochet many years ago, before discovering knitting, but whoever designed that goofy flower was clearly smokin' the crack pipe. I tried it three times and came up with these strange ratty things that looked almost, but not quite, completely unlike flowers (There's a little shout out to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for those of you in the know--heh). So I frantically googled for patterns, and found this easy and cute rose . I ended up adding a bobble of contrasting yarn as a center, and made two leaves. It looked better than than the stupid crocheted flower anyway. So there.

Tomorrow the kids and dh are off for MLK's birthday. I was explaining to ds1 that he wouldn't have kindergarten tomorrow. They've been studying Dr. King all last week--well, as much as little brains can absorb on such an adult topic.

He sighed deeply, and said, "But I don't want to go to his birthday!"

"Who?" I queried.

"Martin Luther King. I don't wanna go to his birthday party!"

"Well, he's not having a party. He's dead. It's a holiday to celebrate him and his work in this country."

"But if he's dead, why does he have a birthday?"

"Well, sometimes when people have done great things, we celebrate their birthdays even after they are dead--kinda like Christmas is Jesus' birthday."

"Well, I'm still not going to his party."

No disputing five-year-old logic.

No comments: